13: Alex Ferrari – Founder of Indie Film Hustle, Bulletproof Screenplay, and Ask Alex
A true renaissance man of film, Alex Ferrari worked his way up through the ranks from the bottom to become an award-winning director and writer, as well as a producer, editor, colorist, cinematographer, podcast host, consultant, and all-around indie film guru. His commitment to making the art of indie filmmaking accessible and relatively inexpensive to the masses has garnered a massive following of dedicated fans worldwide. He can often be found on the guest list as a speaker at any number of film and media events, and his films have screened at festivals around the globe.
In addition, Alex Ferrari is the creator of the Indie Film Hustle website and podcast. He has also created the podcasts Bulletproof Screenplay and Ask Alex, and has recently launched Indie Film Hustle TV, which is a fantastic resource for filmmakers on the internet.
[2:06] Alex’s background
- Born in Fort Lauderdale, FL, raised in NY, living in L.A. for the past ten years
- Full Sail Film School
- Inspired to create a guerilla film school on DVD to make it affordable for lower-budget filmmakers in order to give back to the film community
[6:42] Alex’s take on the value of film school, then and now
[11:11] Connections that filmmakers make and their value
[12:27] Alex’s experience with his first job as a tape vault operator, and how he got it
[13:50] Building his first demo reel
[17:06] How Alex discovered that he was meant to be his own boss
[18:05] How Alex made his first director’s demo reel
[19:15] Going into business for himself
[20:06] How Alex got into color correction and a brief history
[21:52] Jumping on the Red bandwagon, and adding more tools to the toolbox
[23:13] “You always ask for forgiveness, not permission… you just gotta hustle, you gotta be bold.”
[24:20] The highs and lows of Alex’s career
[26:49] Alex’s take on the allure of the film industry
- The sizzle of the American media industry
- Discussing the Indie Film Boom
- Advances in technology and the next generation of filmmakers
[36:21] Building your entire business on someone else’s platform
[37:25] The history of Indiefilm Hustle and Alex’s olive oil “odyssey”
[45:43] Alex’s initial motivation and plan for developing Indie Film Hustle
[51:31] The benefits of having your own podcast
[54:02] How Bulletproof Screenplay was born
[58:27] The art of curating guests according to Alex Ferrari
[59:40] The exploits of Faith Granger
[1:05:02] Alex’s favorite podcast episodes:
- IFH Episode 088, Why Filmmakers are Always So Damn Broke & What They Can Do to Change It
- IFH Episode 089, How to Write a Screenplay with Fight Club Screenwriter Jim Uhls
[1:09:44] Indie Film Hustle TV and how people can get involved
[1:12:28] Alex’s typical work day
[1:19:06] The top ten books that will change your life… (see Links & Resources)
[1:13:32] Maintaining a balanced life
[1:21:35] Who would benefit from watching Indie Film Hustle TV? What kind of content is available?
[1:25:08] The best piece of advice Alex has ever received…
[1:32:35] ”I’m super happy making small, little independent films that mean something to me, mean something to my audience.”
Links and Resources
- Indie Film Hustle: www.indiefilmhustle.com
- IFHTV (The World’s First Streaming Service for Filmmakers and Screenwriters): www.indiefilmhustle.tv
- Watch the YouTube Show: The Directors Series
- Become a Fan: www.facebook.com/indiefilmhustle
- Follow IFH on Twitter: @indiefilmhustle
- Instagram: @ifilmhustle
- Listen to the IFH Podcast: iTunes
- Listen to the Bulletproof Screenplay Podcast: iTunes
- IFH 262: Top Ten Books That Will Change Your Life!
Be sure to check out podcasts with other great guests in the film and media industry on our DMP Podcast Page!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!